Tomorrow our team (Mine Falls Milers) heads up to Cannon Mt for the start of the 11th annual Reach the Beach Relay. Last year we won the Mens Masters division with a narrow victory over The Free Radicals. They return again this year along with 33 other teams, all looking to knock us to the curb. Not so fast guys, we've returned and we've reloaded with 4 new members this year.
2009 Mine Falls Milers:
- Frank Pilhofer - Last years fastest runner, stealth trainer, claims to be German.
- Bill Newsham - Member of GBTC, lives in Ma. and we still let him on the team. He must be fast. Part of the van 1 6'6" club.
- Mark Wimmer - For the first time ever Mark didn't get the hardest leg. That just means he's not the fastest anymore. Doubles as a weatherman, says it won't rain. Also part of the van 1 6'6" club.
- Earl Thomas - We had to go all the way to Rhode Island to get our newest runner. We hope he has short legs since his freakishly tall van mates will occupy most of the van space.
- Tom Varick- Normally part of GDTC (the evil running empire across the mighty Merrimack), Tom leaves his colors behind in the Derry area (ba da bump, get it?) and joined our team without meeting us (which was key to getting him to sign on).
- Mike Wade - The true architect behind the team, our captain who's responsible for signing on the new guys (so we know who to blame if they suck!), part of the van 1 6'6" club.
- Steve Wolfe - Allowed to run in spite of his weak ass attempt of a blog, winner of the "I run closest to my predicted time" 3 years running.
- Denis Tranchemontagne - Runner up in the fastest runner from 2008, once called Mr. 5k, still can't spell or pronounce his name, makes great cookies!
- Brad Pechacek - 2nd year MFM, still waiting for him to speak his 1st words, the only guy who hasn't given me crap about something (although he's in my van this year, that may change!)
- John Green - Pulled out of retirement for one more chance at the title (I think we got him when we told him the prize was a pack sack), referred to as The Snowman.
- Tim Burke - Got him to sign on early before he had a chance to know us. The new Mr. 5k, thinks 5 miles is a long run, has short legs so he's in van 2.
- Steve Tomasi - He knees no introduction, our own senior moment, he tri's hard all summer (I got a million of them!), the true anchor of the team
11 teams return from 2008 (18 total teams ran in 2008, compared to 35 this year). 11 different states are represented in the masters division alone.
I believe there are over 400 teams signed up to run this year as this race continues to grow in size and popularity. The race actually sold out in March, believe it or not.
I've done 200 mile-24 hr relays in Oregon, Utah and Wisconsin and this is still my favorite race. It is also one of the hardest (course wise). You would think running from the mountains to the ocean would be all downhill. Ha! Guess again. It's nice to have a race like Reach the Beach in our own backyard.
Good luck to all the teams!
|Bib #||Start Time||Team Name||Location||State|
|326||7:30 AM||Team Kate||Pembroke||MA|
|81||8:20 AM||Carpe Beachem||Hampton||NH|
|215||8:40 AM||Moose Tracks 2009||Litchfield||NH|
|5||8:40 AM||Running Revelers||Rochester||NH|
|342||9:20 AM||Team Sufferfest||Cos Cob||CT|
|332||10:00 AM||Team Motherhaus||South Boston||MA|
|273||10:20 AM||Run Rest Repeat||Sunapee||NH|
|187||11:00 AM||Krulik's Revenge||Cambridge||MA|
|234||11:00 AM||One Track Minded||Bedford||NH|
|249||11:00 AM||Plodding Buffaloes||Bethlehem||PA|
|64||11:20 AM||Better on the way down||Brooklyn||NY|
|282||11:20 AM||More Cowbell||Rutland||VT|
|246||11:20 AM||Pimp my Stride||Charlotte||NC|
|340||11:20 AM||Team Solid||Cambridge||MA|
|111||11:40 AM||Dead Last Ducks||Fairfield||CT|
|219||12:00 PM||Muddy Bisquits||Duxbury||MA|
|360||12:00 PM||Kicking Asphalt||Granby||CT|
|222||12:20 PM||Night Crawlers||Sudbury||MA|
|300||12:40 PM||Sons of Beaches||Each Greenwich||RI|
|95||1:00 PM||Commotion to the Ocean||North Andover||MA|
|132||1:20 PM||Fellowship of the Bubblewrap||Somerville||MA|
|266||1:20 PM||Old School||West Hartford||CT|
|194||1:20 PM||Liquid Carb Road Racers||North Reading||MA|
|264||2:00 PM||River Runners Class IV||Exeter||NH|
|352||2:20 PM||The Chronic||Waltham||MA|
|30||2:40 PM||Rank and Vile||Ipswich||MA|
|191||2:40 PM||Lehigh Alumni Buffalo Soldiers||Convert Station||NJ|
|123||2:40 PM||ERC - The Beach or Bust||Glen Ridge||NJ|
|11||3:00 PM||Haverford College Honor Goats||Rockport||MA|
|75||3:00 PM||Broomcorn's Uncle||Winchester||MA|
|163||3:30 PM||Hey Bud!!!||Moscow||ID|
|8||3:30 PM||Mine Falls Milers||Nashua||NH|
|3||3:30 PM||The Free Radicals||Portsmouth||NH|